Tuesday, May 18, 2010


Dan Butler

While I was at NYU, my dorm was nestled perfectly between the East and West Village, north of Soho and just a hop south from the biggest Farmer's Market in Manhattan, at Union Square.  It became a matter of habit to take a studying break and stroll through the tents of the market, pluck some fresh flowers for my desk, and enjoy the local artists' paintings and drawings.  One particular artist, Dan Butler, displayed his screen prints with an antique typewriter sitting prominently in the middle of his display. 

As I began to anticipate my departure from the beautiful island, I searched for the perfect piece of art to commemorate my daily life in the City.  Dan's work consists of screenprints.  The screenprint below is of the  antique typewriter I got so used to seeing with a dash of watercolor for good measure.  

In aims to not be too hasty, I've kept the print bottled up and searched and settled on how to frame my NYC memory.  I think I've made a decision!  From the moment I laid eyes on the work of Larry Laslo of Larry Laslo Designs, I knew I had found my framing inspiration.  The picture hanging to the left is my aim (though the matting on the right is so interesting).  I would like a sleek, brass, minimalist frame with chunky tall, but skinny and narrow, matting.  Can you see it?  I'm so excited--I'll reveal, of course, my finished product, once I find a frame shop who can rub my pennies together and make my dream a reality!



Thoughts?  Color boost tomorrow and "After"...See you then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment