Thursday, November 18, 2010


A Day amidst Antiques…

I’m genuinely excited about my day off tomorrow.  My girlfriend (and sister-in-law) are going to Mt. Dora’s for Renninger’s Antique Extravaganza (This is where I found my knobs for my gray dresser [See May 19th]!).  I only hope the Extravaganza will stack up to my expectations! I’ve jotted down some notes in preparation of our day tomorrow from Sarah Richardson of HGTV Canada’s “Sarah’s House.”  As you may be aware, Sarah Richardson hosts a show where she purchases property and renovates, remodels, and redecorates.  The show allows you to tag-along with her at the upholstery shop, junk shop, IKEA, and antique fairs.   She is constantly talking about where to splurge, and then, where to pinch a penny.  In a recent re-run of Season 3 she visited an antique fair where she iterated the following tips regarding your next trip to an antique fair:

  1. Three things to bring: notepad, measuring tape, and camera.
  2. If you are looking for a particular item for a particular spot, measure before you go!  Establish the minimum and maximum measurements for the spot.  You’ll end up buying the piece that you love and works where desired.
  3. (My Favorite Tip) Walk to the end of the fair when you arrive and work forward.  People get bogged down upon entry and tend to linger in the first dealers’ stalls.

I’m hopeful tomorrow will be relaxing and equipped with a kitchen table and chairs (our hunt item) in our trunks by our drive home!

No comments:

Post a Comment