Monday, January 9, 2012

G.K. Chesterton


G.K. Chesterton

It may be obvious by now, my dear readers, that I have a vast array of “loves.”  I love this and that—from tax law to interior design.  I’ve oft expressed my love of words, the beauty of syntax and diction.  Like in any design, words, crafted well, are a beautiful medley. 

I’ve recently had the occasion to read a bit more of G.K. Chesterton, one who artfully employed the pen.  The G.K. Chesterton Society’s website is choc’ full of information on the work of Chesterton; it’s a treasure trove.  One of the scholars who actively writes on Chesterton, Dale Ahlquist, wrote this about Chesterton: “It may be helpful to remember that Chesterton came to us first as a poet. It may explain why his prose is so wonderful, why all his words still dance. It may be that what Chesterton said about St. Francis, is also true of himself: ‘He was a poet whose whole life was a poem.’ (emphasis added)” You may have read the following quote in November’s Real Simple; it’s a keeper:

You say grace before meals.  All right.  But I say grace before the play and the opera,

And grace before the concert and pantomime,

And grace before I open a book,

And grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing;

And grace before I dip the pen in the ink.

So excited about 2012!  Do you have goals for the year?  Did you take time to reflect?  May 2012 be a year full of the thoughtfulness--the prayerfulness--imbued in Chesterton’s words .  May 2012 import a heightened awareness of God’s loving-kindness and His patient mercy.

Early Notebook (mid-1890’s).

No comments:

Post a Comment