Tuesday, June 7, 2011


Depth of Texture

I have been fully enveloped in work and other obligations lately, which leads me to neglecting my posts.  I’ve found myself perfectly contented to read (dog-ear/annotate—I’m 100% nerd) the design magazines on the weekends.  However, when faced with the option of donning sunscreen and reading the articles on the adirondack (by the lake) or sitting in front of the computer writing posts, I’ve consistently chosen the former. 

But, I wanted to check-in anew, with a beautiful piece I saw, only in passing, at the MET this weekend.  My girlfriend and I enjoyed NYC for 2 short days, wandering the streets, doing nothing in particular but enjoying the island.  We were on our way to the roof-top bar at the MET (which must be experienced, if you have the chance), and passed the gallery which held the piece below.  We should have stopped and taken in the piece, but, alas we did not.

Between Heaven and Earth was created to emulate the texture and depth of color of the textiles historically associated with the artist’s, El Anatsui’s, Ghana.  I find it breath-taking.

The mixture of materials was reminiscent of the rug, from Matta, below.  It is featured in House Beautiful this month (which is incredibly good).  It is made out of recycled metal and thread.  I wish it came in bigger sizes, I’d buy it for my bedroom.  You’ll have to look at it in the magazine, because the picture below doesn’t do the metal “threads” justice.  Love the pink.

dhurri_mauve

El Anatsui. Between Heaven and Earth. 2006. The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment