Tuesday, May 10, 2011


The purchases…

I wanted to fill you in on the items I recently purchased for the new abode.  Unfortunately, due to the size of the place, I was unable to utilize my oversized leather couch, or ridiculous mid-century chairs from my grandmother.  So, we improvise. 

My first find was the couch.  I knew I needed something petite and I also knew this was a perfect opportunity (one I’m not likely to be able to seize in the future) to buy something quintessentially feminine and pretty.  The Elton Settee, from West Elm, works perfectly.  I’m enthused by the idea of it later fitting in a porch or master bedroom.  It wouldn’t be a man’s first choice of seating for the Super Bowl! 

img80m
IMG_5580
The next purchase was the rug.  Terrazzo is incredible to clean, coordinate with, and cover.  It is not my aim to cover all of it, or even most of it.  But, the hardscape without some softness, is, well, hard.  I was so excited to find the rug below at Target!  $100.00.  The geometric shapes tone down some of the estrogen in the room (crystal, pink, flowers, tassels, hahahahahaha). 

IMG_5582IMG_5585
Lighting.  Because of the age of my place, there are only two rooms with overhead lighting—the kitchen and bathroom.  So, I am relegated to lamps or light fixtures that plug in.  The crystal pendants—ok, they are actually plastic--were from Something Different, located on Lake Ivanhoe, here in Orlando (where I also purchased the coffee table and dining table).

I was hoping, in order to juxtapose the femininity of my French chair and the couch, to find something decidedly mid-century.  This was it.  The brass capped slender legs made it irresistible. 

IMG_5578
The dining table is also mid-century.  I was drawn to the ability to make it big or very small; drop leaf tables are convenient.  So, as it rests, for my everyday, it seats two.  However, for guests, the leaves pop up, and two additional leaves can be added.  I think it could probably seat 8!  I enjoy the detail of the the wood, as well as the skinny legs.

IMG_5747

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I LOVE every piece of furniture! And your house is soooo adorable.

    ReplyDelete