Monday, August 2, 2010


a fellow weekend designer...
Lynn Goldfinger

Lynn Goldfinger is the creative brainpower behind Paris Hotel Boutique, an online store full of beautiful vintage items.  I discovered (as many before me have done) her wonderful site while I was jumping around on the web a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked.  She has impeccable taste, prompt service (she is a tireless worker), and more-than-fair prices.  She has indulged my curiosity into how she came to develop her store and her design aesthetic.  So, without further adieu, in her own words...

Tell me a little bit about yourself. I read that you were a personal assistant to a blues musician. Professionally, how did you get to where you are now?  After college I worked as a banker for ten years, worked for a non-profit, was the assistant to legendary blues musician John Lee Hooker. One of the people I met along the way told me that my childhood Barbie dolls were worth hundreds of dollars. I did a doll show and made $3,000 in one weekend and that was it. I was hooked. It started slowly. For instance, I would find a Raggedy Andy doll at a garage sale for $1 and sell it for $40 on eBay. At that time (the 90’s) Rachel Ashwell (Shabby Chic) was huge, so I started selling the “Shabby Chic” look and that type of 'worn elegance' and as trends evolved so did my business.

Tell me about your store. When did you take the plunge to open the store? Was it gradual? were you nervous? What made you choose the online forum v. a physical location? Where do you find your inventory? Do you travel often for inventory? I started selling on eBay in 1997. In fact that’s how I got the name of my store... my screen name on eBay was ParisHotel. The website was sort of a fluke. I received my first big press in 2003 when my home was featured in a ten-page spread in Home Companion magazine (now out of print). That what was what actually made me launch my website...sell similar items that were featured in my home. I had to scramble to find a web designer, slap together a logo and launch my website by the time the issue came out—something I don’t think I would have done if not for that deadline. From then on my business went crazy. I never imagined that the press would keep knocking at my door, who knew? I was a little nervous as it was 2002 and most people weren’t doing online shops. I’ve never had a storefront and tethered back and forth with the idea. I’ve rented spaces in antique collectives in the past, but never wanted the overhead and responsibility of running a brick and mortar shop. Based on what my friends who have had storefronts went through, the insane rents in San Francisco, the current retail economy, and the responsibility of being tied to a store, it’s never made it worthwhile. The website is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and anyone in the world can “walk in” at any time. Finding inventory is always challenging. Trends are constantly changing and you have to keep up with them. I scour everything from flea markets and estate sales to shops and auctions to find my inventory. I actually don’t travel as much as you would think. I’ve found that I find more in my own backyard!

What is the best part of your job? The thrill of the hunt, learning history via researching objects, meeting networks of interesting and fabulous people.

How would you describe your aesthetic? Is your house the ultimate reflection of Paris Hotel Boutique? That’s a hard one. I’d say eclectic. My style has evolved so much over the last 15 years. My house has been transformed so many times it’s ridiculous! There are so many looks that I covet from traditional French to Mid Century, that it’s’ hard to pinpoint one kind of look in particular. I just try and mix it all up and see what happens! I do think my house reflects much of what is available on Paris Hotel Boutique, as I resell items that I would own myself.

How has your taste in interior design changed over the years? What influences the change? Traveling? Shopping? People? Lifestyle? Yes, it’s changed a lot as I mentioned earlier about evolving. It’s natural in the antiques/vintage business to constantly be exposed to new trends, looks, and objects that you’ve never seen before. So, changing your decorating style kind of goes with the territory.

Do you have an ultimate dream job? What do you hope to accomplish professionally?  Do you have big plans for Paris Hotel Boutique?
Hmm... You’ve got me there. I guess the ultimate dream job would be to have a bit more freedom to travel more. Perhaps scout for pieces for shops and designers. Something giving me freedom from the administrative part of the job (emails, photos, blogging, etc) and the 7-day workweek schedule that comes with being self-employed. Big plans for Paris Hotel Boutique? Always thinking... :)

Check out her store and her blog.  Its the best.  Thanks Lynn for being so gracious with your time!

3 comments:

  1. I have been to Lynn's home and it really does reflect the best of everything her site represents. It is a perfect blend of all the styles she gravitates towards and is the best home design I have yet to see. And she also makes it really comfortable. She is one to follow as she has an impeccable eye!
    Lisa & Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Lisa, you are a sweetheart! A bias friend perhaps? No seriously, thank you. And thanks Jordan for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful interview...like chatting with a dear friend. And now her store is in my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete